Planning Your Stay
The Ronald McDonald House van provides free transportation to and from the University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital. Other options include the Iowa City Bus, Uber, and our three local taxi services.
Each family is assigned to a private guest room with a bathroom. All families share a large community kitchen and dining area. The kitchen is stocked with basic kitchen items, including: pots, pans, dishes, utensils, glassware, and some basic food items. Generous volunteer groups prepare dinner in the spacious kitchen in the House nightly at 5:30 p.m. for families, as well as at the two Family Rooms. Guests also have full access to a pantry with non-perishable items and a community refrigerator stocked with milk, eggs, and other perishable items. Families are welcome to eat these foods at their convenience.
Living areas with TVs, video games and computers with internet access are also available for use. The House provides linens, towels, laundry detergent for the laundry facilities and cleaning supplies for your stay.
The Ronald McDonald House of Iowa City provides each family with an informational binder upon their arrival. This binder is designed to help you adjust to life in the House and acquaint you with the Iowa City area.
Please refer to your binder for:
- Our guidelines for staying at the House, including House rules and policies
- Additional parking and transportation information
- A complete list of amenities provided by the House
- A guide to restaurants, parks and fun activities in the Iowa City area
- A list of important phone numbers, plus instructions on how to use the phone in your room and access your voicemail.