Prepare a Meal
Our families look forward to a home cooked meal after a long day at the hospital. We welcome individuals and groups who wish to prepare a dinner meal for our families at any of our three locations: Ronald McDonald House in Iowa City; Family Room at St. Luke’s in Cedar Rapids; and Family Room at UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital in Iowa City.
How do we sign up?
To volunteer to prepare a meal, please complete our online form.
What you need to know:
- Dinner is served at 5:30pm each evening. You are welcome to come as early as you need be to prepare your meal.
- Group size: For the House- 10 people or less. For the Family Rooms, up to 5 people.
- We ask that you prepare a meal to serve 35 people (House) or 25 people (Family Rooms).
- Your menu does not need to meet any particular dietary restriction.
- Groups bring all ingredients and prepare the meal onsite. (sorry, due to food safety guidelines, we cannot serve food already prepared at home). Groups may also bring food prepared in a commercial kitchen or order food to be delivered from a restaurant.
- Pots, pans, tableware, utensils, etc. are provided. If you have a special need, please let us know.
- At the House, four ovens and four microwaves are available. St. Luke’s Family Room has one microwave and one oven; UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital has a microwave, steam pot, and electric skillets (no oven).
- Dinner is served buffet style for families to go through as they come back and forth from the hospitals.
- Our volunteers package up any leftovers for families to enjoy.
Where do we park?
Ronald McDonald House, 730 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City.
Parking near the Ronald McDonald House is limited and strictly enforced by the University of Iowa. Please park in the metered stalls of the Carver Hawkeye Arena Lot if you will be arriving before 4:30 PM. If you will be arriving after 4:30 PM or providing a weekend meal, you may park anywhere in the Carver Hawkeye Arena Lot for free.
Ronald McDonald Family Room at St. Luke, located within the Helen G. Nassif Center for Women’s and Children’s Health located at 150 11th St. NE in Cedar Rapids.
Free parking is available in the surface lot or parking ramp immediately across the street. Everyone from your group will need to check in at the front desk within the lobby on the main level. Once checked in, you will be able to take the elevator to the second floor where the Family Room is located. Take a left off of the elevator and then take a right at the nurses’ station. The entrance to the Family Room will be on your right where you can check in with the Family Room staff.
Ronald McDonald Family Room at the UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital, 200 Hawkins Drive, located on the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit on the 3rd floor.
We suggest parking in Ramp 2 (underground ramp) and take the public elevators up to the 3rd floor. The Family Room is on the left after you are admitted on to the floor.
Thank you again for your interest in donating your time, effort and talent to cook for our families. Your kindness helps us keep families close to each other and the care they need, when they need it most.
Ronald McDonald House: Lexie Lindner, Family Program & Volunteer Coordinator, 319-356-4417.
Family Room at St. Luke’s: Jenny Bosking, Family Room Manager, 319-369-5192.
Family Room at UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital: Nikki Hines, Family Room Manager, 319-678-5195.