Pull Tab Program
Collecting pull-tabs from cans such has soup and pop is an easy and fun way to support the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Eastern Iowa & Western Illinois. The pull-tabs that are collected and recycled at Marion Iron Company.
The money received is based on how many pounds of pull-tabs are delivered. Annually the pull-tab collection program generates over $14,000 to support services to keep families close. It takes a lot of people to choose to take the time and effort to collect pull tabs to reach that number annuallly!
If you would like a pull-tab “house”, we are happy to mail you up to 15 small houses. However, if you want a larger quantity or a bigger house please arrange a time with us.
For years, elementary schools have been the biggest contributers to our Pull Tab program. Our school goal this year is 6,5000 pounds of pull tabs! The following information might be helpful in explaining the pull-tab program to students participating in the contest. Be as creative as you want about having students be invovled in collecting.
Questions about the Pull Tab progam can be directed to Victoria Mueller at [email protected] or 319-386-8302.
Fun Pull-Tab Facts…Did you know?
- At a recycling rate of $0.30 to $0.60 per pound, it takes about 112 pounds of pop tabs to cover the cost of caring for a family for ONE night at RMHC-EIWI.
- If a magnet sticks, it’s not aluminum. Run a magnet over pop tabs and pick out pop tabs and other items that stick to magnet.
- The tab contains more aluminum than the entire can.
- The pop tab was invented in 1974.
- One pound of aluminum makes about 30 soda cans.
- Aluminum does not rust.
- 10,433 empty aluminum beverage cans weigh as much as Shaq O’Neal.
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a television for 3 hours.