Collecting the pull-tabs from cans is an easy and fun way to support the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Eastern Iowa & Western Illinois.
The pull-tabs collected at the Ronald McDonald House of Iowa City are shipped to a recycling center for processing. RMHC of Eastern Iowa & Western Illinois receives money from the recycling center based on how many pounds of pull-tabs get delivered. Annually the pull-tab collection program generates over $14,000 to support services for the families and children that RMHC of Eastern Iowa & Western Illinois serves. Every pull-tab saved helps!
If you would like a pull-tab "house" as shown by the picture to your left, please contact the Ronald McDonald House at 319-356-3939. We are happy to mail you a few, but please arrange a pick-up in Iowa City if you need to order a large amount.
Elementary School Contest
Registration is now under way for the 2016-2017 Elementary School Pull-Tab Contest. The deadline to join is October 7, 2016.
The following information might be helpful in explaining the pull-tab program to students participating in the contest.
Questions about the contest can be directed to Victoria Mueller firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-386-8302
Fun Pull-Tab Facts...Did you know?
- At a recycling rate of $0.50 per pound, it takes 112 pounds of pop tabs to cover the cost of caring for a family for ONE night at RMHC-EIWI.
- If a magnet sticks, it’s not aluminum. Run a magnet over pop tabs and pick out pop tabs and other items that stick to magnet.
- The tab contains more aluminum than the entire can.
- The pop tab was invented in 1974.
- One pound of aluminum makes about 30 soda cans.
- Aluminum does not rust.
- 10,433 empty aluminum beverage cans weigh as much as Shaq O’Neal.
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a television for 3 hours.