Careers & Internships
Thank you for your interest in serving families by working for Ronald McDonald House Charities-Eastern Iowa & Western Illinois.
House Manager: Iowa City
This is a benefit eligible position which reports to the RMHC-EIWI Operations Director.
Schedule: 2nd shift, Monday-Friday, 3pm-11pm
- First-line responsibility for overall safety, cleanliness and operating condition of RMH.
- Manage referrals, check-in and check-out process for guest families.
- Communicate with 1st shift House Manager and part-time staff to ensure consistent and seamless implementation of RMH policies and procedures, providing oversight as needed.
- Manage RMH daily census; track and report data as needed for reports.
- Identify needs and provide input to Operations Director regarding operations.
- Assist with special events as needed.
- Create a caring and compassionate family experience for all using the RMH facilities.
- Interact with families with the intent of identifying their needs and seeking solutions, providing non-clinical support.
- Welcome and steward drop in donors and visitors.
- Provide RMH tours to visiting groups.
- Facilitate a positive, collaborative relationship with RMH volunteers, hospital staff, and donors.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Family Sciences, or related field. Two years of experience in a related field is desirable. Experience in hospitality beneficial.
- Excellent verbal and communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate to people of diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated problem-solving and decision-making skills with the ability to work in a flexible, team oriented environment.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects in a fast past environment, meet frequent deadlines and be self-disciplined.
- Self-directed and able to successfully complete projects assigned with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to walk, sit, use hands, climb steps and occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to Shannon Greene, Operations Director, at [email protected].
Marketing and Events Internship
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Eastern Iowa and Western Illinois is seeking an enthusiastic individual who wants non-profit experience with marketing and event planning. Individual will work directly with Director of Development and Fundraising Coordinator with campaigns, fundraising events, donor relations, and community outreach.
- Help manage and compose external and internal communications
- Assist with donor acknowledgement and guest follow-up
- Plan and facilitate planning committee meetings including distributing agenda and taking minutes
- Solicit sponsors, create distribution of promotional materials plan
- Participate and plan community outreach
- Manage and input data into donor and volunteer database
- Compile and research geographical data for guests, donors, and volunteers
- Collect quantitative and qualitative data from fundraising campaigns
- Engage in marketing and advertising promotional activities
Skills and Experience:
- Pursuing major in marketing, communications, or helping profession
- Experience in business practices for social media
- Excellent knowledge in Microsoft suite
- Strong desire for growth with professional standards
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Able to manage multiple projects at once while working in a fast-paced environment
- Some knowledge in WordPress is desirable
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to: Heather Wilson, Development Director, [email protected]
Job Type: Internship
Hours: 10 to 15 hours per week
- High school or equivalent
- Pursuing a baccalaureate degree with a 3.0 or higher degree
If you’d like to serve by volunteering, visit our Volunteer Opportunities page.