Stay at the House
The Ronald McDonald House of Iowa City provides support and comfortable accommodations for families so they can stay close to their child receiving medical treatment.
To be eligible to stay, families must live at least 20 miles away and have a child age 21 or younger in medical care. Once a guest, families may stay until their child is discharged from the hospital. Because of this, we cannot guarantee room reservations in advance as families do not always know when they will be leaving. In lieu of room reservations, families are placed on our Wait List until a room becomes available.
Ronald McDonald House is located on the University of Iowa’s smoke-free campus. Tobacco use, including vaping, is not permitted in the building or outside on the grounds. Guests who wish to smoke or vape will need to walk approximately three blocks to find a permitted location.
How to Stay
Requesting a room at the Ronald McDonald House is easy. Simply follow the steps below:
- Call the office at 319-356-3939 to place your family’s name on the Wait List. Office hours are 7:30am-11:00pm, every day.
- We cannot take advanced reservations as we have no way of knowing when rooms will become available. Families may stay until their child’s medical care is complete, and that is often unpredictable.
- If a room becomes available on the day of your request, our staff will contact you.
- If you have not heard from us on the day of your stay request, our House is full. You are welcome to call us to arrange a discounted hotel room.
- We suggest that all prospective guests read the following in advance of your stay: Cooperative Living Guidelines.
- Please note that any individual with a child abuse or domestic violence conviction, or any individual on the National Sex Offender Registry, is not eligible to stay at Ronald McDonald House.